Voice search has become a game-changer in the digital world in recent years. People now use smart speakers and virtual assistants to search for information and interact with technology, which has changed how we do things.
Adjusting your marketing strategy is crucial for a businessman to capitalize on the trend of voice assistants.
In a survey by Statista, it is revealed that, by 2024, there will be a staggering 8 billion voice assistants in use globally. It means a large number of individuals are utilizing voice commands on their phones or smart speakers.
Neglecting to optimize your web content for voice search can result in missed opportunities.
So in this blog, we will understand why optimizing your marketing for voice search is crucial and provide practical tips to help you stay ahead.
How Popular is Voice Search?
Voice search is gaining popularity rapidly, and it holds significant importance. Let’s take a look at some relevant statistics that highlight this trend
In 2022, the ownership of smart speakers among Americans over 18 increased to 35% from 32% in 2021. This shows a growing adoption of these devices.
A significant 62% of Americans over 18 are using voice assistants on their devices. This indicates a widespread acceptance of voice technology.
One of the top three reasons consumers desire a smart speaker is the convenience of asking questions without the need to type. This shows how voice search simplifies the process of seeking information.
Furthermore, 80% of smart speaker owners find it easier to discover new content and events using voice commands. This demonstrates the effectiveness of voice search in facilitating content exploration.
Another noteworthy statistic is that 57% of voice assistant users utilize this technology at least once per day. This showcases the regularity with which people engage with voice search.
Apart from these statistics, we should also consider the aspects of accessibility and user experience (UX). Voice search offers a convenient and inclusive way for individuals to interact with technology, especially those with mobility or visual impairments. Additionally, the seamless and intuitive nature of voice interactions enhances the overall user experience.
With voice assistants and smart speakers becoming more popular, the competition for search traffic is evolving day-by-day.
Voice Search Improves Accessibility
The US Department of Justice has instructed that websites must follow the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or risk penalties. If they fail to comply, first-time offenders can be fined up to $75,000.
Voice search is crucial for making websites accessible to everyone, especially those with physical limitations, repetitive stress injuries, or cognitive issues who prefer using voice commands.
Both speech recognition technology and proper website coding play important roles in achieving accessibility. Following the best practices outlined by the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), such as aligning reading order with code order, using alt tags for images, and adding markup for conveying meaning and context, can greatly enhance accessibility.
Voice Search User Experience Outcomes For Users
Understanding how people use voice search is crucial for designing a positive user experience (UX) and improving search engine results. The growth of voice search emphasizes the importance of tailoring UX around voice interaction. Brand interactions with voice search-enabled devices greatly influence users’ overall experience.
1. Informational Queries:
- When engaged in tasks like cooking or occupied with other activities, users rely on voice search for quick access to information.
- For example, while making pasta, a user can ask their smart speaker, “Hey Google, how long should tomato sauce cook?”
2. Fact Verification:
- Users often use voice search to settle disputes or prove their knowledge.
- Imagine hanging out with friends and wanting to confirm whether Willie Mays played for the Mets.
- A simple voice search can help you demonstrate your baseball expertise.
3. News and Weather Updates:
- Many users depend on voice search for checking the latest news and weather forecasts.
- Voice commands allow users to receive quick updates without the need for visual interaction.
4. “Near Me” Searches:
- Voice search plays a significant role in helping users find nearby places or services.
- For instance, during a road trip in an unfamiliar state, voice search can guide users to the nearest gas station without diverting their attention from the road.
5. Voice Shopping:
- Voice search is increasingly used for various shopping-related activities.
- Users can create shopping lists, order food, or purchase products solely through voice commands, eliminating the need for a screen.
Channel and Audience-Centric Approach to Boost Your Voice Search Success
When creating a voice SEO strategy, it’s important to understand the strengths of different platforms. There are two main approaches: screen-first devices (like smartphones and smart TVs) and voice-first devices (like smart speakers).
Screen-first devices offer efficient information output when the screen is utilized. Visual scanning is quicker than listening and can convey more information in less time.
Voice-first devices provide efficient input. Users can easily give commands on their own terms, relying on improved natural language understanding technology.
Consider your website’s content, user demographics, and other factors to determine which type of device your audience prefers.
Voice search is commonly used for product research rather than purchases. Many people use voice assistants to browse new products but not necessarily to complete a purchase. These purchases often involve small items like toilet paper or dog food that don’t require visual examination.
Enhancing Your Content for Voice-Activated Searches
Designing vocal user experiences or VUI (vocal user interfaces) may seem unfamiliar, but it’s an important area to explore. While different from graphical user interfaces (GUIs), the principles of user experience (UX/UI) and its impact on search ranking still apply. Optimize your content for voice search from the following easy steps below
- Start With a Plan: Instead of approaching VUI and voice search optimization in fragments, develop a flowchart that outlines how voice search users will navigate your site. This upfront planning will save you time, effort, and redundancy later on.
- Make Interaction Natural: Voice search users employ natural language and often use more words. While desktop searchers may type short phrases like “NewYork delivery nearby,” voice search users are more likely to ask, “Where can I find a good NewYork delivery place near me?” Focus on using full phrases and queries, paying attention to user intent.
- Design for Flow: Structure your HTML, CSS, and code in a way that mirrors how a person would read your site, ensuring a consistent narrative in voice search. Also, consider the sequential arrangement of your content, making sure it follows a logical course. Incorporate verbal tags that enable easy voice navigation (e.g., “select option #2”).
- Improve Your Domain Authority: Efforts put into regular SEO can benefit voice SEO as well. Since voice search often selects the first search result to answer a query, it’s crucial to get your site fully optimized for ordinary search. Focus on tasks like checking backlinks, maximizing keywords, and enhancing local search to improve your domain authority.
- Grab Featured Snippets: Featured snippets are valuable real estate for answering voice search queries, accounting for 60% of all voice search answers. Aim to secure featured snippets for relevant queries to attract a significant portion of voice traffic.
- Get Local: Given that many voice search users seek local information, optimize your content accordingly. Ensure you are listed in Google’s local rankings, and work on improving your visibility. The goal is to be the go-to answer when someone searches for local queries like, “Where can I get a dress altered near me?”
- The Growth of Voice Search: As technology advances, it may surpass traditional input methods like keyboards and mice. User experience will be crucial in this futuristic world, with AI-powered search catering to individual preferences. To future-proof your position, harness the power of voice search and leverage cutting-edge technologies.
In conclusion, embracing Voice Search Optimization is essential for the growth and visibility of your business. By incorporating this technology into your SEO practices, you can better engage customers and increase your online presence.
As Voice Assistants become more prevalent, it is crucial not to ignore this opportunity. So stay ahead and harness the potential of Voice Search Optimization to ensure the continued success of your business.